Here's a little more information on some of the things we do.
- Home Library: for people who are homebound or have difficulty getting to the library, we can organise deliveries either within Lerwick or with the mobile libraries to rural areas.
- Talking newspaper: with the help of volunteers, we record some of The Shetland Times on to a USB stick every Friday, and post out to any visually impaired customers who need it. We also record The New Shetlander and Shetland Life.
- Reservations: if the item you want is on loan or at another branch, you can reserve it, and we'll keep it for you when it's available. You can place a reservation by asking staff or by logging on to your account and reserving online.
- Requests and suggestions: if you want an item that isn't in stock, just ask staff and we will see if we can get it for you. This depends on whether the item is suitable for our stock and of interest to other customers. We very much appreciate suggestions from customers, as it helps us spot good books.
- Inter-library loans: we can borrow items from other libraries and often this is how we get specialist or research material for our customers. Just ask staff and we will look into the best way to get you what you want.
All the above services are FREE, though we reserve the right to charge for inter-library loans if customers require a large number.