Vision Services at Shetland Library
NEW: talking newspapers online:
The Shetland Times, Shetland Life and The New Shetlander are recorded by volunteers as 'talking newspapers' for the visually impaired.
We post them (on USB memory sticks) to people who need them. We can lend simple USB players to users too.
Soon customers will have the option to listen online instead, by clicking on a link like the ones above.
Just ask at the Library if you want to use this service.
The Library also provides:
- Large print books
- Audio books on CD
- Downloadable ebooks, eAudio books and eMagazines - you can change and enlarge the font of ebooks to suit you.
- Magnifiers: we have a table-top specialized magnifier you can use in the Library. It is very good for looking at small print in maps or newspapers. We also have several hand-held magnifiers you can try.
Photos by Dave Donaldson of our talking newspaper relaunch when we went digital in 2017. More information about the upgrade and the service in our press release here.
Pictured are Library staff Thelma Miller, Pat Leask and Douglas Garden; volunteer reader Catherine Willn; work placement Neil Anderson; Karen Eunson, New Shetlander Committee; Adam Civico, Shetland Times Editor and Cecil Smith, Leader of Shetland Islands Council.
(Click photo to enlarge)
- RNIB: practical and emotional support for everyone affected by sight loss.
- RNIB Reading Choices: if you're struggling to read because of your sight this site offers solutions.
- Reading Sight: an information site created to support anyone interested in helping people with sight loss get access to reading and reading services.
- Your Reading Choices: an online questionnaire to help find books, newspapers and magazines in a suitable format for people with sight loss. Library staff will be pleased to help you.
Hannah Bateson, RNIB Vision Support Officer
Tel: 01595 745900
Duty Occupational Therapy
Tel: 01595 744319
Education Services Childrens’ Vision Service
For children and young people with visual difficulties.
Contact: 01595 745588 email: firstname.lastname@example.org